Young adult lit about PTSD

The Hunger Games meets my criteria for great literature. Whatever your age.
It's totally a commentary on our society: class, poverty, social inequality, excess, entertainment, materialism, struggles for resources, and reality TV. And surprisingly for a young adult book, it's a serious portrayal of PTSD.

Similarly, book 2 of the Twilight series (New Moon) is a depiction of depression which swallows you up for at least half the book.

Very cool to see young adult lit dealing with real psychological topics.

1 comment:

Shelly Price said...

I read the series. I'm willing to bet if it was assigned for 7th graders (the "starting age" for the book) there would be a hue and cry from parents. Dealing with the idea, for that target age itself, of being hunted to death, is pretty rough stuff - PTSD indeed! But, I agree, great fiction. In my mind, I saw shades of an updated (obviously) "1984". Gasp. And I'm a pretty big fan of George Orwell so I don't say that lightly. But, definitely a chance to introduce the idea of Utopian society to readers who otherwise would find "1984" an outdated slog... At any rate, it will be interesting to see it on the big screen as well.